Earliest known picture of Poca Baptist Church, the actual date is uncertain.
Notice the fence in front of the Church. The fence was voted on by the church to be installed in July 1930.
Bob Lilly built a church in Poca before 1891; he was going to give it to the Methodist Church. Due to some difficulties, he had with the Methodist Church, he decided to sell it to the Baptists. The church was built on Main Street in Poca. The Hester Baptist Church on Poca River Road bought the building for $500.00 in 1896; they moved into it and named it the Poca Baptist Church. The church was deeded to the trustees.
The first pastor was Rev. W. J. Cook in 1896 on a part-time basis. Church services were held on the fourth Sunday of each month. Regular Sunday service began in 1952.
In 1929 the Ladies Sewing Circle was formed. They held their meetings in a room at the Odd Fellows Club Hall. Their activities included quilting, sewing carpet rags and selling various household products. Handmade quilts and hand woven rugs sold for $5.00 each. The circle donated their proceeds to the Poca Baptist Church to help defray their expenses.
July 1930 ~ Church voted to install a fence in front of church building. (see photo)
July 1, 1951 ~ Five new Sunday school rooms and the baptistery were completed by members of the church.
June 5, 1952 ~ Discussed having Sunday worship services. Prayer meeting changed from Thursday to Wednesday evening.
March 28, 1953 ~ The church approved to cover the church building with brick veneer.
PBC Sanctuary 1954. Notice the ceiling tiles were made out of metal.
Standing facing the camera, Betty Gibeaut, sitting facing the camera, Flora (Flo) Hill Gibeaut.
1955 ~ The church basement was completed and provided three new classrooms and an auditorium. Later in 1955, Rev. Donald Estep supervised the remodeling of the front of the church.
May 1955 ~ Began having communion service the 1st Sunday of each month.
June 1955 ~ Began using bulletins.
June 12, 1957 ~ Entrance to the church building was remodeled.
Poca Baptist Church November 1961
January 18, 1961 ~ Pew bibles purchased.
1996 picture of the parsonage.
September 17, 1961 ~ Mrs. Maude Good passed away and bequeathed to the church her house at 108 Silver Street in Poca. Her bequest was conditional that the house is used as the parsonage and the “Good” cemetery lot at the Lilly cemetery be maintained by the church. This portion of the will was framed and hung in the office as a reminder of her mindful and dedication to the church.
Fall 1963 ~ New pews and carpet installed.
February 1964 ~ Heating and air conditioning installed.
January 1967 ~ The church purchased property from Mrs. Maude Spradling and from the Stewart Properities. Paid off Spradling property on January 18, 1969 and the Stewart Property in December 1969.
September 16, 1981 ~ This was the last service in the old church building (from 1896 until 1981). First service held in newly constructed church building was September 20, 1981.
Last photo taken of the old church Sanctuary September 1981
July 2, 1986 ~ Approved the destruction of the old church building in October, after Poca Heritage Day.
April 22, 1988 ~ Maroon pew cushions installed.
May 29, 1988 ~ New church organ placed in service, a portion of the money came from the Sally Snedegar Memorial Fund. (A plate is to be placed on the organ to be read as follows: “In loving Memory of Bertha Sigman and Sally Snedegar, May 1988”).
June 26, 1988 ~ Church bell moved and re-installed. Rang to begin services this date.
April 2, 1989 ~ The new church building (present fellowship hall and classrooms) was dedicated; included in the dedication were the new church organ and pew covers.
Nov 1990 ~ Adult & Children’s Choir robes donated.
June 17, 1992 ~ Outside church sign approved to be constructed.
October 9, 1996 ~ 5th Sunday Evening sing approved.
October 1998 ~ The new sanctuary was completed, moved into, and dedicated.
September 5, 2005 ~ Note burning celebration held on the church parking lot.
December 2005 ~ The new sanctuary was paid off. A celebration was held in September, while the weather was still nice enough to celebrate outside.
January 2018 ~ The ladies of the church voted to name their fellowship group WInGS (Women In God’s Service).
May 12, 2018 ~ First annual Ladies’ Tea was hosted by Susan Bonnett, Leah Leftwich, and Lori Hunter. There were 21 in attendance.
1896 ~ The first pastor was Rev. W. J. Cook on a part-time basis.
February 23, 1913 - September 1923 ~ Rev. W. Cadle served as pastor.
October 1923 - October 1924 ~ Rev. S. O. Dunlap named as Pastor.
January 1925 - July 1927 ~ Brother J. A. Clare named as pastor.
April 26, 1930 - October 17, 1940 ~ Rev. P. A. Mitchell served as pastor.
Nov 1940 – Dec 14, 1947 ~ Rev. William B. Miller served as pastor.
March 1948 – April 23, 1950 ~ Rev. J. Melvin Gabbert served as pastor.
November 4, 1950 – December 1954 ~ Leonard I. Underwood served as pastor.
March 1955 - July 1959 ~ Dr. Donald Estep served as pastor.
November 11, 1959 ~ Rev. Harold Shannon called as part time pastor.
June 21, 1961 ~ Rev. James Andrews approved as interim pastor.
July & August 1961 ~ Rev. James W. Andrews served as interim pastor.
September 17, 1961 ~ Rev. Leonard I. Underwood served again as pastor.
March 27, 1963 - July 31, 1970 ~ Rev. James Andrews was called to be full-time pastor.
August 5, 1970 – December 31, 1970 ~ Rev. Oscar J. Byrnside named as interim pastor.
May 2, 1971 – December 31, 1975 ~ Rev. Don L. Myers called as pastor.
March 31, 1976 – September 1977 ~ Rev. Ralph J. Brabbin served as interim pastor.
September 11, 1977 - April 26, 1986 ~ Rev. Archie R. Snedegar called as pastor.
July 23, 1986 - February 4, 1996 ~ Rev. Harold B. White, Jr. approved as pastor.
February 14, 1996 ~ Rev. George Pauley approved to be interim pastor.
August 1996 – August 2008 ~ Rev. Jim Butcher serves as pastor.
July 2009 – June 29, 2015 ~ Dr. Mike Derry became pastor.
August 2015 ~ Rev. Tom Moore, Jr. was appointed as interim pastor.
January 2016 ~ The Pulpit Committee decided Rev. Moore to be brought before the church for a vote for permanent pastor. He received 100% of the votes and was appointed and approved by the church as their new pastor.